Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants in the Gold Coast?
Dental implants are the best way to replace broken or missing teeth in people of different ages. Restore a healthy, functional smile and talk, eat, sing, laugh and kiss with complete confidence. A dental implant is a permanent tooth replacement option and can restore bite and proper chewing function. However, some people may not be an appropriate candidate for dental implants.
You must have healthy gums and adequate bone structure to support the implant. When you lose a tooth, your jawbone, which holds the root in place, will gradually start to deteriorate. Once the bone erodes, it doesn’t come back. This is why it’s important to get treatment at The Dental Boutique as soon as possible after you lose a tooth.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Dental implants are a cosmetic dentistry treatment that involves inserting artificial tooth roots into the jawbone. Made from titanium, dental implants are used as a foundation to hold a prosthetic tooth in place. In this way, they function like natural tooth roots. The result is artificial teeth that look, feel, and function just like natural teeth.
Implants consist of three parts:
- The implant
- The abutment, i.e. the post that connects the implant and the crown
- A crown that acts as the tooth
Fixing the jawbone sometimes becomes an essential part of this treatment, since it ensures the stability and durability of the implants if they are installed in locations where there is bone loss.
Dental Implant Candidacy
Dental implants involve oral surgery and like any other surgical procedure, your dentist must assess whether you are a suitable candidate for the treatment. Some factors that may impact candidacy include:
- Gum disease: if you suffer from gum disease, it will first need to be treated before your implant procedure can occur as gum disease can infect your dental implants the same way it infects your natural teeth roots. It can also cause a high risk of implant failure.
- Bone loss: if your bone is too thin or soft and unable to support an implant, you may require a bone graft procedure to ensure the success of your implants. The graft helps to improve the architecture of the jaw, so the titanium implants are properly supported.
- Lifestyle and function concerns: certain lifestyle factors can impact your likelihood of successful treatment, such as smoking, health conditions and poor overall health.
If dental implants are not the best option for you, we will recommend other options that can help you safely and effectively restore your smile.
Benefits of Dental Implants vs. Dentures or a Dental Bridge
Unlike a dental bridge or dentures, dental implants are a permanent solution that look and work almost exactly like natural teeth. They can be used by anyone regardless of age as long as you are in good health. Modern dental implants look, feel, function and fit just like the natural tooth they replace.
Unlike dentures or a dental bridge, there’s no need to worry about them falling out or having to remove them to clean or sleep. Dental implants remain securely fixed for life, taking the stress out of caring for replacement teeth. Dental implants last a lifetime when properly cared for. A dental bridge and dentures, on the other hand, typically last between 5 to 10 years before they need to be replaced.
Dental Implants on the Gold Coast
At The Dental Boutique, our experienced general dentists provide the very best dental care in the Gold Coast. Providing the ability to speak, eat, sing, kiss and laugh with total confidence, dental implants are life-changing for many people. They pave the way to a brilliant, happy, healthy smile. Contact our team today to make an appointment and get started.