How is a Wisdom Teeth Removal Surgery Performed?
How is Wisdom Teeth Removal Surgery Performed in Queensland?
Wisdom teeth removal surgery is a procedure to remove the third set of molars, which appear in the back corners of your mouth and typically appear between ages 17 and 25. If a wisdom tooth is impacted (doesn’t have room to grow), it can result in pain, infection or other dental problems.
Wisdom teeth removal can relieve pain and discomfort from having an impaction, while avoiding damaging the surrounding teeth and bones. Dentists like The Dental Boutique also sometimes recommend wisdom teeth removal, even if impacted teeth aren’t currently causing problems.
What is an Impacted Wisdom Tooth?
Some people never develop wisdom teeth. Others have wisdom teeth that develop normally. However, many of us have at least one impacted wisdom tooth. An impacted wisdom tooth may:
- Grow at an angle toward the next tooth (second molar)
- Grow at an angle toward the back of the mouth
- Grow straight up or down like other teeth but stay trapped within the jawbone
- Grow at a right angle to the other teeth, as if the wisdom tooth is “lying down” within the jawbone
An examina and X-rays will reveal whether your wisdom teeth are impacted or may cause dental problems for you in the future.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure: What to Expect
Your dentist may use local anesthesia, sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the expected complexity of the wisdom tooth extraction and your comfort level. While it varies from case to case, a typical procedure can include the following steps:
- Making an incision in the gum tissue to expose the tooth and bone
- Removing bone that blocks access to the tooth root
- Dividing the tooth into sections if it’s easier to remove in pieces
- Removing the tooth
- Cleaning the wound site of any debris from the tooth or bone
- Stitching the wound closed to promote healing (not always necessary)
- Placing gauze over the extraction site to control bleeding and to help a blood clot form.
A wisdom tooth extraction is almost always performed as an outpatient procedure. This means that you go home the same day.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Aftercare
Following the procedure, your dentist will advise you on what to expect in terms of bleeding, pain, swelling and bruising. Pain can generally be managed using over-the-counter pain medication and ice packs. However, prescription medication can also be provided in some cases.
Eat only soft foods during the first 24 hours and drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol, caffeine, carbonated or hot beverages and straws. Avoid smoking for at least 72 hours. Strenuous activity should be avoided for at least a week, but in many cases you can resume most normal activities the next day.
Contact your dentist if you experience any excessive bleeding, fever, severe pain, pus, difficulty swallowing or breathing, or swelling that worsens after two or three days. All of these reactions could indicate an infection, nerve damage or other serious complication.
Wisdom Teeth Removal on the Gold Coast
At The Dental Boutique, our experienced Oral Surgeon provides the very best dental care in the Gold Coast. We ensure your wisdom teeth removal procedure goes seamlessly, with a fast recovery and support from a caring team of professionals. Contact our team today to make an appointment.